The Wouxun KG-1000G Plus is the mobile and base station radio that GMRS fans have been waiting for! With 30 GMRS channels and the ability to receive on multiple bands, this 50-watt powerhouse is full of functions and features that take the GMRS experience beyond the limited capabilities of the typical GMRS transceiver and without an exorbitant price.
The KG-1000G Plus has 999 programmable memory channels with CTCSS and DCS encode/decode, 7 built-in NOAA weather channels, simultaneous reception, priority channel scanning, CTCSS/DCS scan, simultaneous dual mode operation, and an FM radio. You can select wide or narrow bandwidth (20KHz/12.5KHz) and select from four output power levels for optimal transmission. It also supports DTMF encoding/decoding.
But the Wouxun KG-1000G Plus isn't just a mobile two-way radio; it's also capable of connecting to a second KG-1000G Plus to become a full base or mobile repeater! Yes, that's right. You can connect two KG-1000G Plus radios using the short (SCO-001) or long (SCO-002) display connection cables included in the package to create your own working repeater! Now that's a Plus!
And that's not all. The KG-1000G Plus has dual speakers with multiple speaker channel settings, plus a speaker built into the DTMF hand microphone. That's three total speakers!
All the standard features of a Wouxun mobile/base station are there, too, such as the 1750Hz burst tone, Channel Name edit, and display, group calls, 8 group descrambler, power management, stun and kill function, external speaker support, 4 configurable front panel buttons and a built-in cooling fan with adjustable cooling control. All extras, and for no extra fee.
A large, dual-frequency LCD display is also part of the KG-1000G Plus. The backlit buttons on the front panel help you see them in the dark. The full-featured keypad on the handheld speaker mic is backlit, and voice prompts assist you with menu navigation.
The front panel is also customizable! The KG-1000G Plus includes two kinds of switchboard panels to fit your installation. Choose from an upward-facing inclined panel or a flat panel for installation in your vehicle. The front panel is detachable and can be relocated separately from the radio chassis. The included 15-foot extension cable allows you to install it just about anywhere in your vehicle to have it right where you need it.
The optional Wouxun SPS31WIN Power Supply can also power the KG-1000G Plus to turn your GMRS mobile receiver into a fully operational GMRS base station!
The Wouxun KG-1000G Plus comes with a handheld speaker microphone, inclined switchboard panel, flat switchboard panel, mobile mounting bracket, remote front panel bracket, mobile power cord, 15-foot extension cable, hand microphone hook, fuses, screw set, an easy-to-understand owner's manual in plain English and a one-year manufacturer warranty from Wouxun.
- 30 GMRS Channels
- 8 Built-In GMRS Repeater Channels
- 999 Custom Memory Channels
- 50-53.995 MHz Receive Only Frequencies (6m)
- 108-179.995 MHz Receive Only VHF Frequencies
- 320-349.995 MHz Receive Only Frequencies
- 400-479.995 MHz Receive Only UHF Frequencies (70cm)
- 700-985 MHz Receive Only Frequencies
- AM 108-136MHz (RX)
- Built-in NOAA Weather Channels
- Repeater Capable
- Tune Specific Frequencies Directly (Frequency Mode)
- 8 Group Descrambler
- 50W Maximum Transmit Power
- FM Radio
- 4 TX Power Levels
- Channel Scan
- Priority Scan
- Supports 10 Scan Groups
- Simultaneous Scanning on A/B Areas
- CTCSS/DCS Tone Scan
- Wide/Narrow Bandwidth Selectable
- Busy Channel Lockout
- Repeater Mode (Requires 2nd Unit)
- Standard and Non-Standard CTCSS/DCS
- Split CTCSS/DCS Tone Support
- Large LCD Dual Frequency Display
- Three Color Selectable LED
- Backlit Keypad
- Channel Name Edit and Display
- Battery Meter
- Minimum Operating Voltage Settings
- Adjustable Cooling Fan Control
- Automatic Temperature Testing
- Power Management
- Timeout Timer
- Keypad Lock
- Audible Button Beeps
- English Voice Prompts
- Dual 3.5mm External Speaker Ports
- Offset Frequency Programmable
- Receive AM Transmissions
- Auto-Detect AM Transmissions
- Group Call, All Call, and Selective Call
- Incoming Caller ID Display
- PC Programmable (Requires Optional Cable)
- Dual Speakers
- Multiple Speaker Output Settings
- 4 Configurable Front Panel Buttons
- Backlit DTMF Hand Microphone With Speaker
- Cooling Fan
- Remote Front Panel Installation Option
- DTMF Encoding and Decoding
- Stun and Kill Function
- One-Year Manufacturer Warranty
What's in the Box
- Wouxun KG-1000G Plus GMRS Base/Mobile Two-Way Radio
- Hand Microphone (KG-UV10A)
- Inclined Switchboard Panel (Already Installed)
- Flat Switchboard Panel
- Mobile Mounting Bracket
- Remote Front Panel Bracket
- Mobile Power Cord
- Remote Display 15 ft. Extension / Repeater Mode Cable (SMO-002)
- Display Connection / Repeater Mode Cable (3 inch / SMO-001)
- Screw Sets
- Hand Microphone Hook
- 2 Fuses 15A 32V
- Owners Manual
- Dimensions: 5.51 in. x 1.73in. x 8.14 in. (140mm × 44mm × 207mm)
- Weight (Including Microphone): 3.16 lbs. (1437.8g)
- Power Requirement: 13.8VDC+/- 15% (Negative Grounded)
- Antenna Connector Type: SO-239 (UHF Female)
I had another 50W radio that sounded like a Geiger counter and static. With the same exact hookup, I plug in this radio and it is night and day difference. People sound clearer, the speaker in the mic makes it easy to hear in louder situations, and the quality of the sound both in and out are super defined.
Make sure you get a good antenna, good mounting location, and a good power supply and you will not have any issues.
The main reason I bought this was for the detachable screen, and though that is great it's not really what set's this radio apart. Everything the screen displays might be. The menu is easy, the multiple bands that can be scanned through and added to the basically unlimited channels, and everything can be programmed through the radio without software.
Because of that, I haven't even tried the software programming. So I can't speak on it.
If you're in the market for either a mobile car setup, or looking to get a base station, maybe even a repeater, this is THE radio you should get. You'll waste time and money trying to make other radios work well, while this just does.
I don’t know because I haven’t received the radio OR the
programming cable yet.
The Wouxun KG 1000 G Plus, is a feature packed, versatile GMRS Radio !
Numerous Menu driven options, allow you to taylor the radio to your preferences !
Caveat Emptor :
There is an issue that many buyer's are having concerns with, in regards to the radio falling short on it's output power !
Touting to be a " 50 " watt radio, is a big draw used to market this radio.
But it has been my experience ( With 2 Radio's) as well as other's, of low power output, coming no where near the manufacturer's claim of 50 watt's !
My experience , from Two (2) Radios, the power output into a Bird 43 wattmeter, with appropriate 100 watt slug, and into a 100 watt DC to 3 Gig Dummy load, was closer to 38 to 40 watts !
As has been reported by other's as well.
After much hair pulling and experimenting, I determined that the included wire harness is too small a gauge to provide the necessary current to allow the Radio to produce maximum output !
Too the attached Plugs can cause intermittent operation, causing the Radio to rapidly turn off and on !
This has led to many replacing these connectors with their own,
favorite plugs !
More importantly, for these radios to see the maximum output, the wire harness, must be replaced with a much larger gauge wire !
Caveat being, if you choose to make those changes, and run these Radio's on the "High" power settings, it may shorten the life of the transmitter ?
Best to use low or medium power levels, until needing the maximum output !
I was impressed with this radio, enough to have purchased Two, while trying to figure out the power issues !
Hope someone finds this review helpful, and an aid to avoiding any issues !